So we are VERY well. We are pretty busy so internet was not really an option in Kiev. I am having a blast and I am pretty sure Dasha is enjoying being back here. For some reason we cannot access our hotmail or yahoo accounts this is all you can get for a while. Our flights were all fine and on time. I learned from Janelle and took all the salt and pepper packs and any freebies I could stash so we are set for snacks! I didnt sleep but Dasha managed to get comfy by rolling up into a ball. Her uncle picked us up at the airport and it was culture shock for Dasha (I couldn't do anything so it was less so for me). Kiev is beautiful, there are tons of parks much larger than QE and the downtown is really buzzing all day. The buses and metros are cheap (10 cents a ride) and plentiful and all really really full. I observed everything in my usual city planner manner: People park on the sidewalks and anywhere else they please and drive in typical european fashion (it just works!) there is still plenty of space and nobody gets hurt, the crosswalks go under the road and are filled with shops. Beer is sold in vending machines and at every corner and you can drink them anywhere anytime yet everybody is very disciplined. Everyone is spotlessly dressed and very beautiful (Dasha likes to say "look at all the pretty girls and their pretty legs"). We tried some ukrainian champagne which was really good and really sweet all for Dasha's birthday. We went to the opera, a religious place where monks locked themselves into caves until they died, and although we didnt have time for the WWII museum (renowned for it's spin on the story) we saw a small museum full of pictures and propaganda posters and oddly enough they say the same things as the ones on the capitalist side (freedom, peace and disarmament) makes you wonder who was actually right or if the victors just took the spoils. My cousin gave us some pringles and they have been saving us every time we want to eat on the run. We were welcomed very warmly and ate very well and spent lots of time rushing in the city. we needed more time, we barely had time to see Dasha's other cousin. We took the overnight train to krivarock but we had to rush the whole way (And I mean sprinting with backpacks and dufflebags), dasha's cousin was nice enough to hold up the train. On the train Dasha slept and I watched out the window it was great. We got here in the morning (The city dasha was born in) and right now we are at her best friends place "chatting". I think that's as much as I can say for now I'm sure I missed lots but I'm writting it all down in a book so I don't forget when I get home. Hope everyone is well!!! See you later!
*Umm the whole sidebar and fancy blogstuff is inaccessible (I assume it's the same issue as with the e-mail) for those who want to know Mariupal is the next stop and after that Athens and we are in Ukraine now so no more canadian flag...
5 comments:
Hi Stephane and Dasha..
Just added your blog to my favorites and caught up on your countdown to the trip..
Happy Birthday Dasha!
Stephane, you sound like you are having a great time, soaking in the culture, architect and scenery..Who needs sleep anyway when there is so much to experience?
Your comment about freedom...reminded me of the 'Work leads to freedom' inscription as I entered Mathausen, and I assume all concentration camps had a similar caption.
I rather think travel is freedom.
Enjoy!
And thanks for letting me travel vicariously through you - this blog
xoxo
tante Suz
YAY a blog entry! I am so glad you guys are having a great time! I know how you feel Stephy when you can't sleep. Looking out at the scenery is much more interesting... even if it's looking out into the darkness. The stars, occasional lights and scenery lit up by the moon is so captivating. When you're travelling you'll learn that you don't need to sleep that much.
Love you lots Stephy and a big hug to Dasha! Keep enjoying your travels!
Oh n keep stashing away those freebies :) they're life savers!
Grand merci pour les nouvelles Stéphane! Hello to Dasha - glad to hear you are having a wonderful time reconnecting with your friends and family, and showing Stéphane around. We are enjoying travelling along with you as you are describing the sites and feelings of your adventures. I saw a saying recently that I feel sums up the incredible experience of discovery while travelling: the world is a book - he who does not travel reads but a page. Enjoy turning the pages of this wonderful book!
Love - Papa et Maman
Hi Stephane & Dasha . . . First of all Happy "belated" Birthday to Dasha! Glad you arrived OK and thank you for the update. Can only imagine all the new sights and experiences you both will have in the upcoming weeks. Have fun and keep in touch. Love hearing from you. . . . Cheers amd Love.
Steve & Marcy.
A few words (spelled phonetically) for the upcoming Greek portion of your trip (r's are rolled):
1) Kalimera/Kalispera/Kalinictra (Good morning/Good afternoon or evening/Good night
2) Parakalo (Please)
3) Evharisto (Thank-you)
4) Pou iné y toiletta? (Where is the washroom?)
5) Ena biera, parakalo. (A beer, please.)
6) O logariasmos, parakalo. (The bill, please.)
I wish I was going with you!
XXOX Tante Rose Marie
Post a Comment