May 14, 2008

Getting OUZED!

Well this is part 1 of a two parter today. This post is about getting as I call it ouzo'ed; or as Dasha graciously shortened it, getting ouzed! I must admit I enjoy a glass of hard alcohol. I like gin, so the idea of an anise flavoured alcohol was pretty appealing. After having a glass of ouzo in a restaurant, I bought a budget 5 euro 700 ml bottle of ouzo. Even if it was very sweet, I have been enjoying it daily before diner.

Yesterday at the restaurant I found Tsipouro on the menu and inquired as to what it was. I was told it was a stronger liquor taken a few steps earlier in the ouzo process (at least that what i think he said). I tried it and it was really fantastic (I had another today). The generous 25 ml for 1.50 euro's lasts the meal and is incredibly flavourful. Anyways I just bought a bottle to take home and I may share a little taste of Greece.

And, as a side note about getting ouzed. We met and nice man from the netherlands named Ruud who has kindly invited us to his place and offered to show off his country to us free of charge! Amazing what a bottle of inexpensive barrel retsina can cause! (And it's not AS bad as the rumours made it out to be)

No comments: