Yesterday we did the antiquity tour of Athens. I managed to go to the bakery and grocery store to buy four buns, the smallest chunk of feta I could find, two tomatoes, a red onion, a cucumber and an apple. Yes that's right home made greek salad was on the diner menu with feta sandwiches for both breakfast and lunch. It could have been a 10 euro food day...
We walked all the way to the rail station to get some information and rail and island hopping travel. then went to the ministry of tourism office and got some more information on what we should focus on. We took our books and lunch to the king's garden and chose some locations to focus on.
After that we walked to the Acropolis which was obviously swarming with tourists and covered in scaffolding. We had to see it, but then proceeded to explore the land around it and found much more interesting things in the agora and the hills south, better ruins and better views of the city with only a few other people. We fully enjoyed walking the 9 hours but were so exhausted that we decided to stop by the first restaurant we went to and stuff ourselves with some more delicious cheap greek food.
Then we went home and advanced our travel plans a little more and what we think we may do is off to the side there with the question marks for optional sidetrips. Dasha wants to drop off all the extra stuff she picked up in Ukraine before doing too much walking so those may be cut out.
3 comments:
Congratulations Stéphane & Dasha on your engagement!
I see that you are planning on going to Meteora. I don't think you will be dissapointed even though it is out of the way. I have been there twice and would go there again!
Mykonos is really a nice island but it is busy in the town itself. Nevertheless, it is still small enough to get a sense of the Greek islands.
I don't remember Patras as being much more than a port town and kind of seedy. I assume you are going there to take the ferry to Corfu... I have heard that this island is more like Italy than Greece.
Keep blogging. It is great to hear about your exploits!
XXOX Tante Rose Marie
That's the down side to most popular monuments... they are pretty much over rated (and sometimes expensive). Fun to see so you can say you've seen it but much much cooler to visit the smaller, less known places! Love hearing about your travels! Keep it up!
Félicitations Stéphane & Dasha! We were in Greece a few years ago and would love to return. Sounds like you are enjoying it as well. We are back from our trip in France, thoroughly exhausted, well-fed, but happy to be back.
Julie is still anxiously awaiting the birth of #2. We can't wait to meet this new little one!
Hugs to both of you - avec amour,
oncle Raymond + tante Nicole
Post a Comment